Step into the exotic world of pitaya, better known as dragon fruit. So as this beautiful and interesting-looking fruit has become more popular, it has people like me wondering, how is dragon fruit good for you? So I decided to find out! This photogenic fruit is packed with vitamin C, B1, B2 and B3, and minerals like iron, calcium, and more! Come with me as I find out what this cactus plant has to offer!
How to Cut a Dragon Fruit
It might seem a little intimidating with its pineapple-like spikes and bright colors but it’s pretty easy to cut and peel back. The fruit is soft with a leather-type feel to the outside. You can cut it up any way you like. I like to cut off the top first and then peel then cube the fruit and add it to fruit skewers, fruit salad, cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, vegan yogurt and more! In some meals I like having some if the darker pink lining, I think it’s yummy but some find it bitter. No matter what you add it to, your food will look better for it!
How does it Taste?
Depends on the variety that you get. The most common one you will find is the dragon fruit with white flesh and pink outside and it tastes very neutral. If you are looking to satisfy a sweet tooth, you have come to the wrong place but if you like variety and chia seeds, you’ll love this. It’s juicy and goes well with other fruits! If you can find the red flesh dragon fruit, buy it! It is very sweet! There is also a white flesh with a yellow skin that I haven’t tried, if you try it, let me know how it is! So how is dragon fruit good for you? Keep reading to find out!
How is Dragon Fruit Good for You?
How isn’t dragon fruit good for you would be an easier question to ask! Check out these bullet points below!
- It helps decrease bad cholesterol levels in your body.
- It packs a heart-healthy dose of good fatty acids!
- It’s also filled with fiber. Help your digestion and constipation with this superfood!
- Make room next to your acai berries for dragon fruit, both great for acquiring antioxidants!
- Dragon fruit has been known to help regulate blood sugar in diabetics, ask your doctor if it can help you!
- Get 10% of your daily vitamin C with dragon fruit!
- Dragon fruit contains many B vitamins which help carb metabolism!
- The more of the dark skin you eat, the more protein you get from the fruit!
So now you know how dragon fruit good for you but guess what…there a benefits to applying it to you skin! Try picking up hair products or facial products with dragon fruit or pitaya as an active ingredient as it does wonders for your skin! Or find an at-home recipe!