Want to look and feel your best?.. EAT
The following healthy tips and advice on eating clean were provided courtesy of NPC Bikini Competitor, Shaunna Marie!
What is Clean Eating?
If you’re asking yourself “what the hell is clean eating?”, let me explain before I dive head first into the benefits of the lifestyle that I live and LOVE. “Clean foods” are foods that are whole, unrefined and unprocessed foods. This means they’re as close as possible to how the food appears in nature. Want vibrant energy and confidence? A sexy body? Kiss pre-packaged, processed foods goodbye, and prepare to be your best.. physically AND mentally!
Okay, so now that you know what clean eating is, let me explain how to follow along and get in the best shape of your life.
How to Eat Clean:
1. Eat 5-6 small meals a day. You should be eating every 2-3 hours to stabilize blood sugar levels and keep your metabolism going. This will keep hunger at bay and prevent binges!
2. Focus on lean sources of meat: chicken, fish, grass-fed beef if you choose. Protein is an essential to build a lean body. Ditch processed deli meats!
3. Aim to have a protein and complex carb or healthy fat at every meal. (Some people do better with a higher fat intake than carbs, and others vise-verse.) If you’re eating complex carbs, fill up on green veggies, low-glycemic fruits and whole-grains like brown rice and oatmeal. Complex carbs and healthy fats are both healthy sources of energy.
4. Water, water, water. Drink lots of it! Get rid of sodas and other artificial, sugar-loaded drinks. Aim to drink approximately 2-3 liters of water a day.
5. Get in the habit of reading nutrition labels. Make sure you know the ingredients that you’re putting into your body. Anything with preservatives, artificial colors, hydrogentated oils, etc. is NOT something your body needs.
6. Pay close attention to proper portion sizes.
1. Increased Energy
2. Decreased Body Fat
3. Increased Lean Muscle
4. Healthy Skin
5. Decreased Risk of Diseases
6. Positive Self Image and Confidence
7. Sustainable: This is one of the most vital benefits of eating clean. It’s a lifestyle that can be followed for your entire life. It’s NOT a diet.
Clean eating is a lifestyle that I embrace. It’s NOT a diet. It’s a constant. Trust me, once you get in the groove of it and start feeling how GOOD you feel, you’ll never turn back!!
Follow me on Facebook/ShaunnaMarieFitness for more tips on healthy living, clean recipes and fitness advice.
xoxo. Shaunna Marie
For more pictures from her 2012 competition, visit Event Makeup.